Maternal Mortality Review Committee
(a) There is established a Maternal Mortality Review Committee within the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ("OCME"). The OCME shall provide facilities, staffing, and other administrative support for the Committee.
(b) The Committee shall evaluate maternal mortalities, including associated factors,:
(1) That occur in the District; and
(2) Of District residents, regardless of the place of death.
(c) The Committee's duties shall include:
(1) Identifying and characterizing the scope and nature of maternal mortalities in the District and of District residents;
(2) Describing and recording any data or patterns that are observed surrounding maternal mortalities;
(3) Examining past events and circumstances surrounding maternal mortalities by reviewing records and other pertinent documents of public agencies and private entities responsible for investigating maternal mortalities or treating pregnant women;
(4) Developing and revising, as necessary, operating rules and procedures for the review of maternal mortalities, including identification of cases to be reviewed, coordination of records requests by the Committee, establishment of sub-committees as necessary, and improvement of the identification, data collection, and record keeping of the causes of maternal mortalities;
(5) Recommending systemic improvements to promote improved and integrated public and private systems serving pregnant women in the District;
(6) Recommending components for prevention and education programs;
(7) Creating a strategic framework for improving maternal health outcomes for racial and ethnic minorities in the District, including reducing disparities in maternal mortality rates for racial and ethnic minorities; and
(8) Recommending training for maternal health providers to improve the identification, investigation, and prevention of maternal mortalities.
Fatality Review Program Manager DC Office of Chief Medical Examiner